amusing kde discovery... kstars

Alexander Henry plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 16:16:35 -0700

David A. Sinck wrote:

>Ok, so there were my kids paying around with knoppix when they ran
>across 'kstars'.

Also look at kmoon.  It sits in your tray and tells the moon phase.  "Oh
no, I've only got half the modules finished and we've waxed a whole
quarter!"  This little toy prompted me to look up the last eclipses we
had.  Did you know we just had an annular solar eclipse visible from the
northern ice cap Friday May 30?

One really neat thing you can pull off with kstars is center and track
the sun, set the time increment to 1 day, then let it run.  You'll get a
great perspective of the Earth zooming through its orbit, and the motion
of the planets relative to us.  Also, try zooming in very close on a
individual near-earth body, it has a texture map for each one.  Makes
you feel like a Hubble.

--Alexander