First Analyst Impressed By SCO's 'Proof'

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:36:59 -0700

On Friday, June 06, 2003 8:30 AM, G.D.Thurman wrote:

> Here is a quote from the article.
>
> "Apparently the most telling evidence is that
>  parts of the SCO code and Linux code include
>  identical annotations made by developers when
>  they wrote the programs."

I'm a little surprised that someone who would "steal" code would keep the
comments.  If I was going to use someone else's code, I would at least
change the comments to make it a little less obvious.

> How does Open Source ensure patented/copyrighted stuff
> doesn't get into The Code?

Assuming SCO is able to show that there is indeed UNIX code present in
Linux, I'm curious to see how they will prove that it was IBM was the
culprit, versus Novell or Microsoft or one of the other licencees.  Was the
code that was copied ONLY licensed to IBM and no one else?

~Jeff