Wireless Keyboard

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:46:18 -0700 (PDT)

On 3 Jun 2003, Carl Parrish wrote:

> Okay so now I have one of those fancy keyboards with tons of buttons. Of
> course because I'm using linux they don't do anything for me. But I
> remember someone saying something about a way to find out what each key
> 'name' was so you could map those keys to actually do something. So on a
> RH 8.0 and a RH 7.3 box (I still haven't upgraded yet) what are the best
> ways to find out what these keys are called? I think I can figure out
> how to map them from gnome-cc but I have no idea what these keys are
> called.

Use xev(1).

Then it will report the keycode, keysym and the symbol name (or NoSymbol).

And use xmodmap(1) to map the special keycodes into keysyms (used by X).

(In the plug-discuss archives, there should be a more detailed email from
me about this on May 12.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/