Wireless Keyboard

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
03 Jun 2003 09:40:04 -0700

For the archives,

I recently purchased the Logitech Cordless Access Duo keyboard and
mouse. Couldn't get them to work and since the documentation is only for
PC's or Macs I wanted to share what I found. Use the USB connection. I
still can't get my computer to read the keyboard or mouse using the ps/2
connections. Using the USB RedHat 7.3 recognized the devices fine. And I
didn't have any trouble with the mouse but the keyboard would not be
recognized.  I found this on the logitech site and it works for me.

1. Remove the batteries from the keyboard and press keys on the keyboard
repeatedly (as if typing) for approximately one minute. This will clear
out the capacitors.
   2. Press the Connect button on the receiver.
   3. Press the Connect button on the mouse. NOTE: You may need a pencil
tip or other small tip to press the connect button.
   4. Press the Connect button on the receiver.
   5. Insert the batteries back into the keyboard.
   6. Press the Connect button on the keyboard.

Now my keyboard and mouse are wireless.

Okay so now I have one of those fancy keyboards with tons of buttons. Of
course because I'm using linux they don't do anything for me. But I
remember someone saying something about a way to find out what each key
'name' was so you could map those keys to actually do something. So on a
RH 8.0 and a RH 7.3 box (I still haven't upgraded yet) what are the best
ways to find out what these keys are called? I think I can figure out
how to map them from gnome-cc but I have no idea what these keys are
called.