I have no application form and I must rant

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
30 Jan 2003 22:03:51 -0700

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 15:06, Michelle Lowman wrote:
> I know this topic came up at the county meeting, but I'm having a
> problem with proprietary document formats being used by MCCCD. They have
> several faculty positions listed, and I would like to apply for them,
> but the application on the website is in .doc format, and it is
> thoroughly macro-ridden, so I can't open it in either OpenOffice or
> Abiword without it being mangled.
>
> I asked Employee Services if they could email me an .html or .rtf
> version, and they say it goes against policy to email applications (even
> blank ones -- go figure.)
>
> Three of these positions close tomorrow, which means I can't apply for
> them because I can't get the form by then. They do have an online
> application form, but if I remember right (I haven't looked at it in a
> while) that thing is a nightmare. It looks like I'll have to just try to
> do it that way, and I'll have to apply for the other positions next week
> between classes on one of the MS machines at PC. Dammit.
>
> OK, rant over. Any other thoughts on this?

-----
I would contact personnel and tell them exactly this and suggest that
their system, though obviously well intentioned is a problem for people
not owning Microsoft Word. It's borderline discriminatory.

Craig