using dd to backup entire hard drive

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:25:41 -0700 (GMT)

I am very anxious for the answer to this one!  I was going to post the same question to the list later today.  I'm watching closely.

Alan

-------Original Message-------
From: Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com>
Sent: 01/30/03 10:13 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: using dd to backup entire hard drive

> I want to back up a linux hard drive completely.

If the hard drive I want to back up is hda and I want to 'clone' the hard
drive
to hdb, how would I issue the command?

dd bs=4k /dev/hda /dev/hdb

I want everything, including the mbr to be copied. Is there anything that
need to worry about if the target hard drive is larger than the source
hard
drive? Will the partitions be the same size and the extra space on the
target
left unpartitioned?

Thanks,

Craig