Fab4Linux

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:43:21 -0500

Nathan,
You're right, we don't have the website up yet.  Since you asked . . .
<marketing pitch follows>
Fab4Linux is (we believe) a new step in the evolution of the graphic user
interface.  It's a program that will allow you to perform many of the
operations that required use of the mouse with the keyboard, which is far
more efficient.  (Not that the mouse isn't good for graphics-related and
infrequently-performed tasks, it is.)  Unlike the command line interface, you
won't have to memorize a lot of commands and options.  Fab4Linux assigns
commonly-performed tasks (program launches, text insertion, window
navigation) to the three main rows of the keyboard, and creates a graphic map
on the desktop that lets you see assign captions and icons to the keys.
Unlike traditional macro programs, you don't have to remember what the key
sequences are, and, because there's a visual map of the keys, you can have
multiple menus for multiple purposes.  It's designed to get out of your way
(so you can type normally) with a single key press, and be re-activated with
one control+key press.  It's still in the beta stage right now, and I demoed
that beta for the east and west side meetings.   It's not open-source, but
we're giving away the betas and we're planning to sell the final product
pretty cheap, probably $30 or less.
<end pitch>
If you're interested, I can send you more info.

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.
in association with Fabuluss Software (Fab4Linux)