proftpd message and mysql both on port21?

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:53:43 -0700

If you have lsof installed, that will tell you what's listening on port 21:

# lsof -i :21
COMMAND PID USER   FD   TYPE      DEVICE  SIZE/OFF INODE  NAME
xinetd  256 root    4u  inet  0x624b4908       0t0   TCP  *:ftp (LISTEN)

Otherwise, as root, run netstat with some different args:

# netstat -nlp | grep :21
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:21           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
256/xinetd

In both cases above, I can see that the process LISTENing on port 21 is
xinetd (PID 256).

Also, I missed the beginning of this thread.  Is your ProFTPd installation
new, or is this something that used to work and then stopped working?  If
it's a new installation, I would guess that your distribution installed an
FTP server by default (e.g. wu-ftpd) and that's what's listening on port 21.

~Jeff