the best laptop for linux

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
27 Jan 2003 23:02:48 -0700

--=-Os5blh17vcvQSMJd/OqA

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 05:53, ahologounis@penguinnetworking.com wrote:
> I was wondering who has had success wth linux on a laptop(any laptop).
> A friend has a compaq laptop and for the most part it works, except for
> energy management and encrypted wireless.
>=20
> Is there a laptop available(preferrably for less than 1500 dollars) that
> runs linux perfectly?

I run Linux on an Apple Powerbook Pismo (G3 - Firewire) with alot of
success.  The only thing that is annoying is that sometimes when it
sleeps it looses the correct time.  But, I think that happens in MacOS
too.  It's hard to remember, I didn't run MacOS for that long :)  (And
now I run it under Mac-on-Linux, no reboot required) Anyway, it runs
Yellowdog.

I really like the Apple hardware, it is a little bit pricey, but I think
you get what you pay for.  My battery life is ~10 hours with two
batteries installed.  I've seen very few other laptops (especially two
year old ones) that can take up to 1GB of RAM.

I haven't used the newer Powerbooks much, but they are for sale on the
Yellowdog website, so I'm guessing they've done some testing on them.=20
Probably one of the only laptops that you can get Linux preinstalled on
:)

		Good luck,
			Ted

--=-Os5blh17vcvQSMJd/OqA