speed up StarOffice

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:27:48 -0700

On Thursday 23 January 2003 08:04 am, Bart Garst wrote:
> I tested this.
> I booted up, started oowriter from the Gnome start menu.
> With the splash screen it took 17 seconds.
> I disabled the splash screen, rebooted and started oowrite just like
> before. Without the splash screen it took 17 seconds.
>
> Not much of an improvement. Does anybody know how to speed this up in G=
nome
> 2?

Not really.

Y'know, app startup speed is one area where I have to admit that Microsof=
t is=20
really on the ball.  As anybody who has used both Linux and Windows can=20
attest, Windows apps (like IE, Word, Excel, etc) all start up significant=
ly=20
faster than Linux apps on the same hardware.  I used to always attribute =
this=20
to the fact that MS has a habit of "preloading" quite a few libraries int=
o=20
memory during system started (and they do).

I've changed my tune lately, though, after installing Crossover Office.  =
This=20
allows me to run some Windows apps natively on Linux.  I fully expected t=
hat=20
starting, say, Word in Linux would be significantly slower then starting =
it=20
in Windows since none of the code is preloaded... but it's not.  App star=
tup=20
is nearly *identical* in Linux as it is in Windows.

For example, on a PIII 700MHz 128M RAM 5400IDE, it takes just FOUR SECOND=
S to=20
start up MS Word in Crossover Office.  It takes over 24 seconds for=20
OpenOffice Writer to startup.  That's 8 times slower!

Ah well...