Open Source CD

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:22:44 -0700 (MST)

der.hans said:
> Am 21. Jan, 2003 schwätzte Nathan England so:
>
>> What happened to the Open Source CD we were discussing a couple months
>> ago? I'm taking classes at Pima Community and I woud really like to
>> hand out some of the Open Office discs, along with other stuff.
>
> It got dropped here. I'd like to see PLUG put forth a team of a few
> people to help with some particular aspect.

I would like to see AZOTO do something like this perhaps?  Maybe the right
idea is to make a Knoppix CD and a GNUwin CD.  And basically make a little
marketing 'intro' space.  Then we can make AZOTO and PLUG marketing blurbs
that are easily changeable.  Then depending on whom is giving out the CD's
you would give the appropriate marketing one.  Sigh too much cold and
sinus medicine.  I realize the above is poorly worded.  I hope it is not
mis construed.

> For instance, I've heard complaints that the Mozilla on the CD is
> ancient. It's 1.0 according to the site. I see 1.2.1 according to the
> Mozilla website, so, yeah, it appears GNUwinII is a little out of date.
>
> The PLUG group could adopt Mozilla to keep the current version ready for
> the CD. Having someone on the Mozilla team in PLUG would help :).
>
> Maybe we could adopt GNUe and get it on the CD.

GNUe to my knowledge is on GNUwinII, but like most things on it, its
dated.  It would be good to start with GNUwin II I think and just
volunteer to help that project (if its feasible).

> 1 person could make a difference, but 2 or 3 people working as a team
> could not only make a huge difference, but also show that PLUG is active
> in the community.

I agree here.

> Don't forget copies of Knoppix.

See note above. ;)