why your distro sucks

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:51:51 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Aaron Cordova on 1/22/2003 09:31 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ I agree, I have seen the distro wars in news groups and they carry on for a
\_ couple of weeks. Distro wars are lame. Fighting over software is lame too.
\_ Use whatever distro and whatever packages you want, thats one of the great
\_ benefits of FREEDOM.

The way I handle this in #perl is that anyone can dig on perl
(typically php 'leetists) IF they provide constructive arguments.  You
don't get better if you ignore the ugly parts just because they're
ugly.

For instance, my favorite php dig is leak() (which may have been
subsequently removed from production releases).
http://www.zend.com/manual/function.leak.php The last I checked, there
were still a blazing zero reasons for that function to make it into
*production* releases.  Sure, probably an ok idea in dev releases, but
production?  Who in their right mind wants to leak() in production?

So I nominate: no "<distro> sucketh because its red and garment
based", but "<distro> could use work on X, as in comparison to
<other-distro>, in particular because...."  and see what boils out.  I
bet it turns out better than the first option.

YMMV.

David
	That whole "please test before use" just doesn't fit our
	fast-food mentality! -- M. Edwards