why your distro sucks

technomage plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:07:56 -0700

hmmmmm.
some interesting points to ponder.

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 08:38 pm, you wrote:
> I am not gonna mention any names but I find some of the bludgeoning that
> goes on with some people's opinion often going over the top.
We all have this problem (me included).

> I have used Redhat since 5.2 (but I think 6.0 had already been released)
> and it was 6.1 or 6.2 by the time I was starting to understand what it
> was that I was looking at. My usage at that time was primarily as a
> firewall / mail /webserver for Macintosh & Windows networks.
heheh. the old standby. I too have started with these (only as far back at
version 3.x of redhat). Made great learning tools, but I didn't like to limit
myself, so I also had debian, slackware and even BSD installed at some point
or another.

> To this point, I have always used Redhat as my distro, sendmail as my
> MTA, UW-IMAP as my pop/imap server, wu-ftpd as the ftp daemon etc.
well, eliminate the distro name. all the rest are fairly common throughout
the unix/linux world. Sendmail/procmail, wu-ftp(d)/pro-ftp(d),
pop(d)/impap(d), vi, pico, bind, etc are all common in pretty much all
distros. the only differences (besides the names) are the packaging schemes
(deb, rpm, tar.gz, etc) and perhaps the base system (posix, system V, etc).
Its only the frills that make the names anymore.

> Perhaps my ignorance has been the cause of my bliss but the stuff has
> always worked. Yes, RH 6.1's sendmail allowed open mail relay but I
> learned to close it. Yes, I had some boxes hacked into way back when but
> it was my ignorance on a proper firewall and I learned ipchains very
> well. While I can't make heads or tails of the sendmail rulesets, I
> found out, I didn't have to...I only needed to know how to use the
> sendmail.mc file and the m4 utility and how to masquerade a domain, how
> to accept mail for a domain, use authentication for sending and how to
> create aliases. I also figured out how to chroot a 'unix user' in
> wu-ftpd and uw-imap has never failed me.
one does not stay ignorant for long when ones box is compromised (either by
accident or intent). I, like so many others, am in information junkie (can't
seem to get enough).. Personally, I'd rather know what is going on, than to
depend on a conf file thats loaded with things I barely understand (hence,
the need to learn all there is).

> Since my experience with linux has only been for maybe 3 1/2 years, I
> don't have any knowledge of sendmail/uw-imap/wu-ftpd frailties of the
> past...I only know that these packages have been rock solid for 3 1/2
> years now...have worked day in/day out and I actually learned how to
> configure them and life is good. I'm getting pretty good at this
> stuff...I even have been trying to help the guy with Mandrake even
> though I have never seen a computer running Mandrake.
heh. been there! done that! and yes... I use mandrake as my preferred
distribution (It had some libs that weren't being included in Redhat
anymore). other than the packaging system, its not unlike debain or slackware
or any of the others (most everything still resides in the same old familiar
places).

> I am certain that the opinion is held by many knowledgable circles,
> there are better than sendmail/uw-imap/wu-ftpd and Redhat.
possibly, but then why re-invent the wheel?

> My point is that what purpose does it serve to berate me or anyone else
> for using Redhat or any of these packages? Why isn't it obvious that
> those who gently suggest that there may be a better way appear to be
> more knowledgable than those who can't pass up an opportunity to suggest
> that you are stupid for using them. It reminds me of stupid Macintosh
> users that wanted to grab some elitist high ground because of the
> computer that they were using.
well, funny thing: opinions are a lot like assholes. everyone has one and
everyone of them stinks to high heaven! :)
its just a matter of putting them all in perspective.

> I can tell you this...using Redhat has meant that I don't have to
> educate my customers on why I'm using debian which they have never heard
> of instead of Redhat which they have.
very little difference. :)

> I will install debian soon enough...if not at the non-profit, certainly
> on the next computer for my own personal use. But Redhat has been a
> tremendous asset to the open source / free software community,
> especially when breaking into the corporate offices as the first wave of
> free software in the Microsoft stranglehold.
well, redHat is a fine concern, but some of the management types have been
taking a page from M$ on a few issues. I hope they realize the mistake
they've made before they go too far...

> My suggestion...if you prefer one package over another or one distro
> over another and you don't have the time and/or energy to actually say
> why, then just say that this is what you prefer. If you feel the need to
> trample the stuff that is working fine for me, you should know that I
> will lose some respect for your opinion.
well, I don't trample... I prefer this methodology: I.D.I.C (Infinite
Diversity In Infinite Combination).

> Craig

Technomage.

p. don't forget to check out the plug irc network (now with 6 servers!) on
ism.supportbeam.com (or mine specifically at pretorian.ath.cx).

- --
numbered!
My life is my own - No. 6