why your distro sucks

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:30:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Garrett wrote:

> 2) Normally the people who are quick to condescend based on someone else's
> choice of software are simply inferring that they don't know much about said
> software. I take advantage of times like that to familiarize myself with
> mail filters and the /ignore feature of most IRC clients. :)

	I've been a linux advocate for some time, and most of my friends
know I use it quite a bit. Commonly, I'll be asked 'Hey, should I put
linux on my machine?' by someone who has only heard of it. My common
response is 'What do you plan to do with it?' That generally weeds the
genuinely interested parties from the mass of users. Anyone who asks me
what distribution I prefer and doesn't ask why when I name something they
don't like falls into the category you cite, above.

	In case anyone is wondering, Debian for servers and workstations,
FreeBSD for firewalls, Solaris for production DBs. =)

- billn