LAMP web server

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 21:45:32 -0700

I really have nothing against RedHat. My first was slackware, before there =
was=20
a redhat. Because of that I'll always be a slack fan. At work I sell RedHat=
=20
and SuSE only, because they are pretty user friendly. I do think SuSE is mu=
ch =20
better on the easy-to-use end, but RedHat is still very good.

Nowadays I only use my own linux. Take the LSF, package everything in slack=
=20
packs, and you have Arcanum Linux...=20

Which is what goes on all my servers.

I don't dislike RedHat at all.
I do, on the other hand, dislike rpm's...
But that's more of a dependency issue.

nathan

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 21:14, Kevin Brown wrote:
> An honest side by side comparison would be nice to see.  I'm just sick of
> seeing posts about RH being the Microsoft of Linux.
>
> At my current job it looks like we'll be using RH as the distro of choice
> for a large cluster (512 node).  Because of that it is also going to be
> used for anyone's Desktop that wants it (along with OpenOffice) and a
> number of other servers along with Oracle (which means RH's Advanced
> Server).  Unfortunately this isn't displacing Windows, just
> reducing/keeping out Sun.  Maybe I should pass on that proposal to my boss
> and to the CIO and see what they think of it since I am working for a NFP.
>
> > Looks like the beginning of a good Distro flamefest.
> >
> > [*] =3D=3D Open/Free/Net
> >
> > How about a *BAMP:
> > *BSD/Apache/MySQL/PHP
> >
> > Even better, a *BAPP:
> > *BSD/Apache/PostgreSQL/PHP
> >
> > Do a side by side feature comparison to a LAMP
> > and see which one works best for you.
> > Best of all, if you want Linux baggage, it will run in *BSD!
> >
> > P.S. I have asbestos underwear for just this kind of occasion :)
> >
> >>I'm just curious.  What is your hostility towards RH/MK/Suse?  I use
> >> them, and Debian and Gentoo and while I have complaints about each one,
> >> I haven't seen any of them make any choices to deserve such hostility.
> >>
> >>Only Gentoo took me longer than an hour to install, but what do you
> >> expect when you do a Stage 1 install (build it all from source).

=2D --=20
Nathan England

Arcanum Linux !
nathan at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
=2D --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Spam related material will be forwarded to:
uce@ftc.gov