Open Source on NPR

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
17 Jan 2003 21:53:11 -0700

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 13:17, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 15:13, Alan Dayley wrote:

----
OK - in the interest of learning something valuable...

playing the audio streams within xmms is absolutely awesome. I cannot
get any of the formats on KBAQ/KJZZ to auto play through my browser.'
Windows Media Player (Ok, I don't care anyway at this point)
Real Audio Player (should work, it works through xmms)
Quicktime (apparently they require v6 - that's very very new so I can
live with that)
WinAmp (my guess it that it should work but doesn't)

I really don't want to go through rigamarole of RealPlayer (the point is
to live with open source stuff whenever/wherever possible right?)

So I edit /etc/pluggerrc...
1 audio/x-pn-realaudio: ra,rm,ram : Realaudio-plugin resource locator
2        repeat swallow(xmms) fill : xmms "$file"
3#       exits nokill: realplay "$file"

leaving line 1 alone, inserting line 2, and commenting out line 3 per
above

No go...still get message that there's no associated application for
audio/x-pn-realaudio

so I edit Mozilla/preferences/helper applications and add new file type

Extension:   ra rm ram
Mime_type:   audio/x-pn-realaudio
Handled by:  /usr/bin/xmms [%s] #added %s later

save - close all Mozilla windows (to be safe)

player/associated application for audio/x-pn-realaudio

So I'm frustrated and use the other link and find out that KBAQ (sister
station of KJZZ) is http://rio.sc.llnw.net:7030/

and I put that into location for xmms and I've got music but the
inability to handle this thru Mozilla bothers me and means that I can't
listen to the whole broadcast still
<http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=923434>

So can I do this without installing RealPlayer?

Craig