mysql problem

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:48:04 -0700

Any mysql experts out there?

I've got a large test database and a recent backup (1
AM last night) made with mysqldump. I've been horsing
with the contents of the database using forms, and in
the process deleting records. The easiest way to get
back where I started is to do a drop database, create
database, and then input from the mysqldump backup
file. Simple plan, right? Should work, right? This goes
in a file:

mysqladmin -u rradmin --password=r3g101 drop rrtest2
mysqladmin -u rradmin --password=r3g101 create rrtest2
mysql -u rradmin --password=r3g101 --database=rrtest2 < DATA.sql

*BUT* ...

Have you ever had the output of mysqldump not work as
an input file? Fortunately, I tested this using a
different database name first. Here's what I get when i
try to run that third line:

ERROR 1064 at line 679: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'field(field),
  KEY type(type),
  KEY tsrc(tsrc)
) TYPE=MyISAM' at line 10

The table in question looks like this:

CREATE TABLE fnames (
  field varchar(40) NOT NULL default '',
  type varchar(10) NOT NULL default '',
  fieldorder int(4) default '0',
  longdesc varchar(200) default NULL,
  required int(1) default '0',
  tsrc varchar(40) NOT NULL default '',
  visible int(1) default '0',
  misc blob,
  KEY field(field),
  KEY type(type),
  KEY tsrc(tsrc)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

It's the first KEY definition it doesn't like. If I
comment out "KEY field(field)," it works, except of
course then the field called 'field' is not set as an

I suspect some name space pollution here. Perhaps some
later version of mysql since this database was
originally created came along in which they decided
that you shouldn't have a field called 'field', or in
which a field called 'field' shouldn't be an index
(key).

Any insights here? This sort of thing drives me crazy.
I'm trying to accomplish some simple testing and am
prevented by an increasing stack of sub-problems.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ