dhcp, dnsmasq

mazdaracer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
14 Jan 2003 08:31:39 -0800

Got my dhcp up and running last night ok. Now trying to actually use it
I'm having a bit of a problem. I set up the firewall (iptables) to allow
the dhcp requests thru on my local lan. That was one issue solved.

Now I'd like to be able to use dnsmasq to get the names of the boxes on
the local lan, mostly XP and w2k as well as my dual boot laptop. They
get their addresses ok, but the DNS Servers is empty.

I rebooted my Linux RH7.3 (not required, but it was a stab) in hopes I
had not started something. Same result. I looked at the resolv.conf and
I've got my 2 nameserver entries. I noticed my resolv.conf.dnsmasq was
the same after the reboot!

According to the (minimal) doc on dnsmasq, I had originally set it up
as:

original resolv.conf before I started all this:
[root@rotor etc]# cat  resolve.conf.org
search byerlyelectric.com
nameserver 192.168.25.1
nameserver 204.147.80.5
nameserver 206.81.191.1

current resolv.conf & resolv.conf.dsnmasq:
nameserver 204.147.80.5
nameserver 206.81.191.1

Again, by the book, I copied the original resolv to resolv.conf.dsnmasq
and created the new resolv.conf with nameserver 127.0.0.1.

But no-go. I just know it's going to be something obvious.
pete