Inside firewall mail server questions

Dallas Helquist plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
10 Jan 2003 23:44:16 -0700

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 23:38, Alan Dayley wrote:
> I have an old pentium with Red Hat Linux 7.3 installed.  No GUI.  Has Webmin.
> Works fine.  My goal is to set this up as a mail server here at home.  My ISP
> filters most of the spam but I want to filter what gets through them.  The
> concept is this:
>
> - The mail server uses fetchmail (or a similar tool/function) to ahem.. fetch
> the mail.
> - A program like spamanator filters out the garbage.
> - The mail is put in user mail boxes.
> - The client computers retrieve their mail via the POP server.
> - The client computers send mail out via the SMTP server (qmail, I think).
>
> Never having done this sort of setup before, I have some questions:
> 1. This server is inside the firewall.  I don't want it as an email server on
> the net.  My ISP can do that.  Fetchmail can handle this, correct?
Yes
> 2. Any recommendations on spam programs like spamanator?  Something better?
I use Vipuls Razor.  You can call it via fetchmail (using procmail.)
Instructions are on their site.  Easy to install.
http://razor.sourceforge.net

> 3. I have not researched yet what apps do the POP function.  Is it the same
> app as the SMTP function?  What app is a good one for this?
sendmail. postfix. qmail.  telnet.  a dozen others.  see below.

> 4. Any other advice for a first time mail server admin?
I would start out doing 1-3 first, and then work on number 4.

> This should be fun!
It is.  Until it breaks. ;)

> Alan

-dallas