Inside firewall mail server questions

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:38:18 -0700

I have an old pentium with Red Hat Linux 7.3 installed.  No GUI.  Has Web=
min. =20
Works fine.  My goal is to set this up as a mail server here at home.  My=
 ISP=20
filters most of the spam but I want to filter what gets through them.  Th=
e=20
concept is this:

- The mail server uses fetchmail (or a similar tool/function) to ahem.. f=
etch=20
the mail.
- A program like spamanator filters out the garbage.
- The mail is put in user mail boxes.
- The client computers retrieve their mail via the POP server.
- The client computers send mail out via the SMTP server (qmail, I think)=
=2E

Never having done this sort of setup before, I have some questions:
1. This server is inside the firewall.  I don't want it as an email serve=
r on=20
the net.  My ISP can do that.  Fetchmail can handle this, correct?
2. Any recommendations on spam programs like spamanator?  Something bette=
r?
3. I have not researched yet what apps do the POP function.  Is it the sa=
me=20
app as the SMTP function?  What app is a good one for this?
4. Any other advice for a first time mail server admin?

This should be fun!

Alan