unerase

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 16:20:53 -0500

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:03:10 -0700 Michael Havens <bmike1@vei.net> wrote:
> Oh well. that just means I need to re-download
> the kernel. I have a question
> in regards to that: which one is in
> development? Is it 2.4.odd number or is
> it 2. odd number?

Kernel version decoder ring:

[number].[even number].[some number] = stable
- Changes are bug fixes only, no new features (mostly)

[number].[odd number].[some number] = development
- New features, new architectures, use with caution

So 2.4.[whatever] is the current stable version.  2.5.[whatever] is the
current development version.  At some point, 2.5 will turn into the new stable
version as 2.6 and the development version will branch from 2.6 to be worked
on as 2.7.  And so on and on and on...

Alan