Portable Music

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 06:47:33 -0600 (CST)

> >Hey all,
> >
> >I'm thinking about getting something so that I can carry my music around
> >with me.  Of course, I want it to work with Linux.  The player that
> >seems the most interesting to me is the Rio Riot.  I can't find any info
> >on it working with Linux, which isn't encouraging.  Has anyone used this
> >player with Linux?
> >
> >		Thanks,
> >			Ted
> ><< signature.asc >>

I have not used the riot either,  for 2 reasons. 1) when I was looking a
few months ago, I couldn't find any support for linux and 2) its stores
mp3's on the disk in a non-editable way, i.e. you have to use their tools
to put mp3's on and take them off.

What I went to was the archos jukebox.  I cannot sing it enough praises :)
It works perfect under linux as a usb hdd (usb-storage driver).  You can
use it to store data as well as mp3's, there are versions that allow
recording, fm players integrated, and media players.  The one I got has a
15G drive and is a recorder also.  works beautifully.  There is also alot
of open-source developement for the archos: http://rockbox.haxx.se/

The jukebox also is very sturdy. I found out that if you accidentally
leave it on the roof of your car, you have about 10 miles at 55-70mph
before it will fall off :)

David
--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."