cox cable and linux

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08 Jan 2003 20:32:30 -0700

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 10:00, Deepak Saxena wrote:

> Go buy a linksys router box. Seriously.  I know people will go off
> about how using a dedicated linux box is a better, but IMHO I don't
> agree. A Linksys box takes up a _lot_ less space than a dedicated machine,
> requires almost no power, etc.  Also, what happens if for some reason
> you need to take the Linux router down for an upgrade or if the disk
> creashes while someone else at home wants to use the web? SOL. The
> Linksys has no mechanical parts and is much less prone to HW errors
> then a Linux box. Management is also lot simpler IMHO.

-----
I wouldn't want to tackle the concept of which is better since there are
plusses and minuses on both sides.

I would want to emphasize the value of learning to admin a box that is
providing routing/firewall/NAT - some people have little inclination for
it, some people will benefit from the learning experience.

Craig