cox cable and linux

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08 Jan 2003 15:53:29 -0700

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 11:50, David Huerta wrote:
> > On Tuesday 07 January 2003 08:56 pm, Mike Starke wrote:
> >> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 08:46:20PM -0700, David Huerta wrote:
> >> /_What is the best way to use an old Slackware box and 5-port switch
> >> to /_share a cox cable connection with 4 other computers, running
> >> windoze and /_linux?  Cox Cable has no Linux support, as most of you
> >> already know. /_
> >> I'll give you the short answer: I am sure someone else will
> >> detail it out.
> >>
> >> 1. Ensure you have two nic cards.
> >> 2. Read up on iptables/ipchains
> >> 3. Make sure one cable (cat5) goes from one  nic to the cable modem;
> >>    the other nic should be plugged into the switch.
> >> 4. Fire up iptables//ipchains and enjoy :-)
> >>
> >> v/r
> >> -Mike
> >
> > Don't forget the DHCP client.
>
> Wouldn't that be a DHCP server, since that's what the other linux machine
> on the network will try to contact to gain ip information for eth0?

That would be smart but not at all necessary. I just have all my
computers sharing the same /etc/host file and add any new computers to
that file. (it would probably be just as easy for me to figure out how
to set up a DHCP server). However if your on cox having a DHCP client on
the router *is* necessary.

--
Carl Parrish (cparrish@carlparrish.com)
http://www.carlparrish.com