cox cable and linux

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08 Jan 2003 14:51:24 -0700

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 11:50, David Huerta wrote:

> > Don't forget the DHCP client.
>
> Wouldn't that be a DHCP server, since that's what the other linux
> machine

This depends on the setup that you want.  I went the lazy way and
staticly assign all my ip addresses on my internal network and have the
firewall get its external ip using dhcp client from the cox network and
the internal address is static same as the rest of the internal network
like this:

Firewall:
	internal->10.0.0.1->static
	external->68.2.?.?->dhcp

Internalbox1;
	internal->10.0.0.100->static

Internalbox2:
	internal->10.0.0.101->static

and the firewall uses iptables to setup a basic firewall.  deny
everything and when a network program doesn't work first blame the
firewall and see what ports you need to open/forward.

The alternative to the above is to have a dhcp server.  could be on the
fire wall but should be inside on you local network.  then have your
firewall external ip acquired from cox and the internal ip acquired from
your dhcp server.  your firewall should have a static ip or at least put
the mac address in your dhcp config so it always gets the same address.
Someday this will be how I set mine up.

hope that helps some
--
Bill Warner <wwarner@direct-alliance.com>