cox cable and linux

Hess, Ben plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:24:04 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2B743.1FD72340

Of course if you want to learn a good linux firewall product that I have
found indispensible in the small to medium business arena then try IPCop. It
is a linux distribution tailored just to do firewall and VPN and has the
simplicity of being web browser managable. I currently have it running on a
Pentium 133 with 64 Meg RAM and it chugs away doing LAN to LAN VPN to 3
sites and firewall services all on a Cox Cable connection.

Just a suggestion.

-----Original Message-----
From: Liberty Young [mailto:liberty@embeddedx86.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 11:08 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: cox cable and linux

I've been using a dedicated linux box as both my file server, router,
firewall, at one point, my mail server.

I'll agree with deepak on a few points...if the box crashes while
someone wants to use the Internet...oops. I had one embarrising
situation when i had some guests over and we all stood around waiting
for me to hook up a monitor, reboot the box, and troubleshoot.

a smaller embedded machine, such as a DSL router, will take up less
space and consume less power.

It is _so_ much simplier to use an off the shelf DSL router.

That is either a good thing or a bad thing. If you're new to linux or
have no NEED of linux, but are interested, then managing your own linux
box, even if it is for just accessing cox cable,  is a Good thing.
Others, who work with linux, are exposed to it for a better part of
their day, and don't need the learning experience, want the simplier
thing.

And even if you do take the learning-tool-experience angle, i still
messed up....i'm not seperating my firewall from my other servers.

Though to be fair, i doubt a cheap dsl router can match a linux
firewall. Iptables, daunting at first, are more flexible and stronger
than the dsl router's built in firewall. If you want to beat a
home-brewed linux firewall, you'll have to buy a cisco box.

box.
If you want to simplify your life, buy an off the shelf  dsl router.

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 10:00, Deepak Saxena wrote:

> Go buy a linksys router box. Seriously.  I know people will go off
> about how using a dedicated linux box is a better, but IMHO I don't
> agree. A Linksys box takes up a _lot_ less space than a dedicated machine,

> requires almost no power, etc.  Also, what happens if for some reason
> you need to take the Linux router down for an upgrade or if the disk
> creashes while someone else at home wants to use the web? SOL. The
> Linksys has no mechanical parts and is much less prone to HW errors
> then a Linux box. Management is also lot simpler IMHO.
>
> ~Deepak
>
> --
> Deepak Saxena - dsaxena@plexity.net
>
> They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
> deserve neither liberty or security - Benjamin Franklin -

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2B743.1FD72340

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: cox cable and linux</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Of course if you want to learn a good linux firewall =
product that I have found indispensible in the small to medium business =
arena then try IPCop. It is a linux distribution tailored just to do =
firewall and VPN and has the simplicity of being web browser managable. =
I currently have it running on a Pentium 133 with 64 Meg RAM and it =
chugs away doing LAN to LAN VPN to 3 sites and firewall services all on =
a Cox Cable connection.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Just a suggestion.</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Liberty Young [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:liberty@embeddedx86.com">mailto:liberty@embeddedx86.com</=
A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 11:08 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: cox cable and linux</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've been using a dedicated linux box as both my file =
server, router,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>firewall, at one point, my mail server. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'll agree with deepak on a few points...if the box =
crashes while</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>someone wants to use the Internet...oops. I had one =
embarrising</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>situation when i had some guests over and we all =
stood around waiting</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for me to hook up a monitor, reboot the box, and =
troubleshoot.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>a smaller embedded machine, such as a DSL router, =
will take up less</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>space and consume less power. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It is _so_ much simplier to use an off the shelf DSL =
router. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>That is either a good thing or a bad thing. If you're =
new to linux or</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>have no NEED of linux, but are interested, then =
managing your own linux</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>box, even if it is for just accessing cox =
cable,&nbsp; is a Good thing.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Others, who work with linux, are exposed to it for a =
better part of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>their day, and don't need the learning experience, =
want the simplier</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>thing. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And even if you do take the learning-tool-experience =
angle, i still</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>messed up....i'm not seperating my firewall from my =
other servers. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Though to be fair, i doubt a cheap dsl router can =
match a linux</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>firewall. Iptables, daunting at first, are more =
flexible and stronger</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>than the dsl router's built in firewall. If you want =
to beat a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>home-brewed linux firewall, you'll have to buy a =
cisco box. </FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Summary: </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>If you want to learn linux, go the hard route and =
build a two nick linux</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>box. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>If you want to simplify your life, buy an off the =
shelf&nbsp; dsl router. </FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 10:00, Deepak Saxena =
wrote:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Go buy a linksys router box. Seriously.&nbsp; I =
know people will go off</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; about how using a dedicated linux box is a =
better, but IMHO I don't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; agree. A Linksys box takes up a _lot_ less =
space than a dedicated machine, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; requires almost no power, etc.&nbsp; Also, what =
happens if for some reason</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; you need to take the Linux router down for an =
upgrade or if the disk</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; creashes while someone else at home wants to =
use the web? SOL. The</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Linksys has no mechanical parts and is much =
less prone to HW errors</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; then a Linux box. Management is also lot =
simpler IMHO.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; ~Deepak</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Deepak Saxena - dsaxena@plexity.net</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; They who would give up an essential liberty for =
temporary security,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; deserve neither liberty or security - Benjamin =
Franklin - </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; =
discuss</A></FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>PLUG-discuss mailing list - =
PLUG-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To subscribe, unsubscribe, or to change&nbsp; you =
mail settings:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss" =