cox cable and linux

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:00:37 -0700

     I have to agree with Deepak: buy a Linksys router box.
     My network comes in from Qwest (not Cox) and goes to the Linksys box.
Everything in the house is on the "inside" of that box. We have a mix of
Linux and Windows in the house and all the systems work transparently through
the Linksys router to the outside.
     Several weeks ago the network suffered an outage shortly after a
lightning strike in the neighborhood. After some checking, it appeared the
service provider (Qwest) was at fault. I spent two hours on the phone with
them trying the things they wanted to see done on one of the Windows
machines. I did not mention Linux. Just Windows and Linksys. They were
comfortable with that. Later, they asked that the Linksys box be removed and
the Windows machine put directly onto their wire. I did so and, still, the
network failed. At that point they agreed to send out a service-person. When
the service-person arrived, I showed them the Linksys box and the Windows
machine and gave them free-rein to effect the repair. After an hour of their
futzing with Windows to no avail, I called a halt when the service-person
asked if they could re-install Windows. I pointed out there were three
additional systems in the house that all reported the same problem with the
network (and that they were running Linux). The guy said, "I guess you'd like
me to replace my box now to see if that helps?" I said, "Yes". He did and the
network started working.
     If I'd had a Linux box in the loop from the beginning, I am sure the
repair would've taken even longer. The Linksys box has been sitting up in the
corner of the laundry room cupboard for about two years happily sloshing
packets back and forth.
     I'm sold.

--
Ed Skinner, ed@flat5.net, http://www.flat5.net/