Need (want) a second Physical Disk Drive

BoBB plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:01:43 -0700

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 07:27:16PM -0500, alandd@mindspring.com wrote:
> Congrats!  This is an example of how valuable PLUG is to us members.
>
> By way of information:  From what you said, I think I can guess how you have
> the new drive connected to your computer.
>
> The IDE devices are "lettered" according to where they are attached.  Your
> comment about needing to specify hdc and the hdb confusion indicates this
> layout:
>
> Original drive = Master, IDE bus 1 = hda
> CDROM drive    = Slave,  IDE bus 1 = hdb
> New drive      = Master, IDE bus 2 = hdc
> Nothing yet    = Slave,  IDE bus 2 = hdd
>
> Even if you had nothing attached as the slave on IDE bus 1 and you attached
> your new drive as the master on bus 2, the new drive would still be hdc.

If that is in fact the case i would recomend you take the cdrom off the
ide channel with the hard drive on it. The cdrom will slow down the
speed on that channel causing you to get poor performance from your hard
drive. Ideally both the hard drives would be on the first channel and
your cdrom on the second channel.

--
BoBB