Need (want) a second Physical Disk Drive

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 19:27:16 -0500

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:54:26 -0700 George Gambill
<ggambill@computer-guidance.com> wrote:
> My thanks to Ted, Lee, Bob and George (another
> George as in Toft)
>
> I got it!!!  Thanks to your suggestions and my
> resulting improved
> understanding from them.
>
> For some reason, I had to partition the second
> drive as hdc1.  It seems
> (from the error messages) hdb was considered
> either the floppy of the CD or
> both.  Anyway, when I tried it as hdc, it
> worked.
>
> I now have a 30 gig drive partitioned as a
> single 30 gig file system (I
> think you call it a file system) known to Linux
> as /clients, populated with
> a shared /usr system (copied)known to the world
> as /clients/shared/usr.
>
> And "df" shows it as 8 percent used which is
> about right given a 2+ gig
> /usr.
>
> Thanks to PLUG, I am yet one more step closed
> to demonstrating a LTSP Thin
> Client system able to compete with that other
> company.
>
> Actually I have it working at the command line.
>  As for the GUI, were
> getting there.
>
> Thanks again
> George

Congrats!  This is an example of how valuable PLUG is to us members.

By way of information:  From what you said, I think I can guess how you have
the new drive connected to your computer.

The IDE devices are "lettered" according to where they are attached.  Your
comment about needing to specify hdc and the hdb confusion indicates this
layout:

Original drive = Master, IDE bus 1 = hda
CDROM drive    = Slave,  IDE bus 1 = hdb
New drive      = Master, IDE bus 2 = hdc
Nothing yet    = Slave,  IDE bus 2 = hdd

Even if you had nothing attached as the slave on IDE bus 1 and you attached
your new drive as the master on bus 2, the new drive would still be hdc.

Alan