Need (want) a second Physical Disk Drive (

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
06 Jan 2003 19:54:53 -0700

--=-hOs4tjkTC2jW++tZzXoq

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 17:08, George Gambill wrote:
> 1.) How do I partition a Brand New (Raw) disk. I have used fdisk on windo=
ws
> machines but not Linux.

To be entirely honest, it's about the same on Linux...  Just type fdisk
and then the harddrive that you want to partition.  Something like:
'fdisk /dev/hdd'.

> Question, what happened to /dev/hda4

I'm guessing that whatever you used to partition the drive didn't create
a hda4.  Why?  Because the first four are primary partition, and the
rest are extended.  Typically a partitioning program will use the later
ones so that it has a primary left for latter.  This is pretty common.

> Question, what is          none         ... /dev/shm

Shared memory, basically RAM.  I don't know what it's used for though.=20
I would imagine it's for RAM drives.  Anyone?

> Assuming I need entries in fstab. what would they be.

fstab is a convenience file, you don't NEED it.  Basically it is an easy
way to go 'mount /music' and have mount figure out everything that it
needs to know.  If you want mount points done and boot up, the easiest
way is to do that in fstab though.  Just steal the line from another
hard drive partition in there.

		Good luck,
			Ted

--=-hOs4tjkTC2jW++tZzXoq