dumb GIMP question

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
04 Jan 2003 20:42:38 -0700

--=-VnE3hlyHvtRrQ4bKBi+3

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 19:50, Ted Gould wrote:
> > As much as I like gimp and use it daily.  Could it possibly be because
> > gimp has a HORRID interface?  i.e. don't blame yourself for missing
> > functionality in gimp, the interface sucks.
>=20
> You really think so?  I really like it.  What would you change?  Keep in
> mind that you need to be able to work on multiple images...  I've seen
> posts saying this in various places, but I've never seen anyone say why
> they believe this.  Most people I've talked to say that it is an
> interface with a learning curve, but not a bad one.

Let me restate that.  It's bad in that its a steep learning curve, even
for those with lots of professional graphics experience.  I would say
overall the interface is poor, but the real power lies in the
scriptability.

Perhaps the real issue is there is no real 'medium' graphics package.=20
There are viewers and basic editors and then there is the gimp.  Someone
wanting to do moderate image manipulation for photos and such really has
no package that is similarly easy to learn.

So the gripe is that people suggest gimp to do 'moderate' level work,
when the learning the curve is really more for people constantly using
the tool.

I have made my piece with its less than intuitive interface.  To each
their own.

--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise