C++ and programming

minddog plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 04:50:33 -0700

I've been through this like water through a faucet.

The main solution!?  Find a project that interests you and make sure it
already has good organization.  Make sure the members aren't assholes when
you ask basic questions, but remember to google it up before you ask.  This
way you learn how to map an application from a large codebase with no real
source of documentation.  It's an art you'll have to learn if you want to be
a maintainer of code done by previous employees.  Oh yeah last thought, pick
a language you don't know already ;)  And for the record, c++ just doesn't
cut it as a language of my choice, but yeah its on my resume.  Learn
something new like perl, python, php, c, modula-2, basic, forth, brainfuck
hehe... good luck!

On Friday 03 January 2003 04:17, Aaron Cordova wrote:
> I switched from M$ Windows to linux thinking I would sorta be forced to
> learn more programming. I have had two college classed in C++ but I have
> yet to learn how to really "Code" not once in either classes was any
> serious application programming taught. I need to learn to program
> desperately. But trying to sit down and page through code is very very
> boring. When I'm debugging I can spend hours in front of the terminal, same
> with trying to hack one of my friends programs. But whenever I try to
> hack/figure out, a complex app I get frustrated because right off the bat
> the code gets very advanced or is commented in a way only a guru would
> understand.

regards,
--
--minddog( Adam Ballai )

"I try to take it one day at a time, but several of them attack me at once."
-mistyflip