Rebooting problems

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 01 Jan 2003 20:31:40 -0700

Cliff Rogers wrote:
> Well I am back up and running but I did experience some problems. Mainly
> when I shut down and then rebooted my Linux box the eth0 failed and then
> the eth1 failed also. When I checked into it I found that eth1 had been
> set up with the same IRQ and I/O assignments as eth1. After I changed
> them it works good. Anyway I'll ask once more: Is this the way Linux
> works? Do I have to re-configure the NIC's everytime I have to reboot
> for some reason or is there something I am failing to do here? Any help
> is appreciated. Happy New Year to all.  Cliff

No, you shouldn't have to reconfigure the NICs everytime you reboot.  I have
several machines here that have more than one NIC in them and I don't have to
reconfigure them when I reboot.  This seems more like a hardware issue (e.g.
BIOS and PCI slot interaction).  Are the two NICs sitting side by side?  If so,
try moving them to have a PCI slot empty (or filled with some other card)
between them.