Downtown Users Group

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Jan 2003 19:14:55 -0700

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 18:36, der.hans wrote:
> Other events can be "supported". I'd like DUG or whatever Derek chooses to
> call it be an official PLUG event. No reason that a sub-event can't narrow
> or widen the PLUG focus ( as long as PLUG thinks it's OK ). The developer
> group does that. Same would happen if a Gamers meeting started up.
>
> I see no reason that a "Free Software" meeting would contradict PLUG. I
> am not, of course, officially speaking for PLUG, just stating my opinion.
> My estimation of how others in the group feel lends me to think the PLUG
> membership would generally support my assessment. Others, naturally, are
> free to disagree.

I agree completely.  Whatever Derek wants to call it, PLUG can support
it.

> I would say it also generally has to be non-commercial. While we would
> certainly encourage the RedHat RV to swing through Phx, I don't want to try
> to try to start getting every IBM, SGI, Sun, m$, etc. event related to
> "Linux" on our calendar.

Yes, well, I was thinking more along the lines of PLUG official and
supported events on our calendar.  Other events that may involve
Linux/Free Software/Open Source or members of the group, like the OS X
user group meeting announcements, don't need to be on the PLUG
calendar.  An announcement in the email list would be fine, as happens
now.

Alan