Downtown Users Group

Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:36:47 -0700 (MST)

Am 31. Dec, 2002 schw=E4tzte alandd@mindspring.com so:

> Just as Stammstisch enjoys "unofficial" (Is anything "official" in a loos=

The GNU/Linux Stammtisch is, apparently, supported by PLUG :).

> organization like PLUG?) support from PLUG, an MC GLUG would certainly ha=
ve at

I'd say the two "side" meetings, the developer meetings, the classes and
special events such as the InstallFests are official. Maybe the dist and
editor wars as well ;-).

Other events can be "supported". I'd like DUG or whatever Derek chooses to
call it be an official PLUG event. No reason that a sub-event can't narrow
or widen the PLUG focus ( as long as PLUG thinks it's OK ). The developer
group does that. Same would happen if a Gamers meeting started up.

I see no reason that a "Free Software" meeting would contradict PLUG. I
am not, of course, officially speaking for PLUG, just stating my opinion.
My estimation of how others in the group feel lends me to think the PLUG
membership would generally support my assessment. Others, naturally, are
free to disagree.

> least the same support.  Heck, put the meeting dates and times on our cal=
endar
> and announce them on the email lists.  The association to PLUG is as tigh=
t as
> you want to make it and you, or anyone else, should not be excluded becau=
se of
> a name difference.  If a group or event is Linux/GNU/Open Source/Free Sof=
tware
> related and in the Phoenix area, it is welcome!  IMHO.

I would say it also generally has to be non-commercial. While we would
certainly encourage the RedHat RV to swing through Phx, I don't want to try
to try to start getting every IBM, SGI, Sun, m$, etc. event related to
"Linux" on our calendar.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  kill telnet, long live ssh - der.hans