Qwest/Actiontec/Cisco/Server issues

klsmith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 13:43:33 -0700

Hi All,

I've been running a server on my DSL for a few months.  Qwest/Cisco678/Local
Server Friendly ISP.

All was well until my Cisco678 died.  This is my second Cisco in 14 months.

Qwest sent an Actiontec 1520 as a replacement.

History:

1) Tried to get the Actiontec to do port forwarding - does not appear to
work.
2) Searched internet and found dozens of posts about this problem.
Suggested solution was firmware upgrade.
3) Firmware upgraded.
4) Still unable to get port forwarding to work.
5) Called local ISP (Tucson) - said this is a problem.  May be able to use
DMZ.
6) Tried DMZ - did not appear to work.
7) When I enter my public/static IP in my browser I get the Actiontec setup.
When I try to access a site on my server (using another client) using it's
URL, I get the Actiontec setup screen. - ISP checked this and did not get
the setup screen.  They received the "cannot access message".
8) Pulled out my Ciscos and upgraded the image on both.

Cisco 1:
--------------
I can connect the crossover cable directly to it and use the windows
management software to access it. From a dos prompt I cannot ping 10.0.0.1.
I can not access the internet. From hyperterm connected to the Cisco, I can
ping 10.0.0.1
(localhost) and outside addresses. I can not ping anything inside the local
net. I find it interesting that I can access the Cisco via tcp/ip with the
Windows
management software however I can not ping it.

Cisco 2:
------------
Can use it for several minutes before it freezes up. Requires a power cycle
to bring it back. Other than that it works great :)!

--------

If anyone has any ideas I sure would like to hear them.

Any other hardware that maybe I could purchase to get out of this rut?

Thanks again,
Keith Smith
Keith Smith
(520) 358-2138