New kernel

Bryce C plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Jan 2003 12:19:38 -0700

--=-eDsY/AKP+iY8YcqYljLU

I don't completely agree.  Yes, do copy (SRC_DIR)/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
(all recent kernels compile the same) to /boot.  You don't need to
rename it but you do have to add an entry to either /etc/lilo.conf or
/boot/grub/menu.lst for the new kernel.  You can look at the other
entries as examples.  Then, if you're running lilo (Why? There are so
much better out there), just run lilo to update your MBR.  Restart,
choosing your new kernel and hope you don't get a kernel panic.
As for kernel.h and system.map, I've compiled and recompiled many
kernels and never with those files.