New kernel

Codie William Masters plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Jan 2003 11:44:50 -0700

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 11:06, Michael Havens wrote:
> I have a slight problem and would appreciate any help offered.
> I upgraded my kernel. Well, at least I compiled it but as one of the manuals I
> bought says, I am supposed to move the module created to /boot. What module?
> Where? Is it the green file calle vmlinux? Do I copy it to /boot and rename
> it vmlinuz?

Actually you'll need to copy a few files to that directory. The actual
kernel file is kept in '(kernelsrc)/arch/i386/boot' and it is called
zImage or bzImage depending on how you ran make. Copy that file to
'/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20' (or whatever your kernel version is). Also copy
'(kernelsrc)/include/linux/kernel.h' to '/boot/kernel.h-2.4.20' and also
copy '(kernelsrc)/System.map' to '/boot/System.map-2.4.20'. Once you
have all that done, your kernel is installed and ready to be ran via
LILO or Grub. All you need to do is edit their configs to add another
option for the new kernel. Adding the option instead of replacing the
files allows you to test new kernels and if they don't work, you can
load back to your last environment to make a new kernel.

--codie