NFS Samba gateway

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:21:58 -0700

On Friday, February 28, 2003 11:02 AM, Mike Starke wrote:

> Am I missing something, or are these two the same thing?
> George's way does not require Samba on a *nix box, and it
> utilizes file sharing in Windows. In short, having
> a Liniux box with the directory NFS exported and as a Samba share
> is, in a sense, the gateway you are looking for.

I understood Sundar to mean he wants to "share a share."  I.e. he has some
data on his Solaris boxes that he wants to share with his Windows machines.
Rather than installing Samba on his Solaris machines or an NFS client on his
Windows machines and having the Windows machines communicate directly with
the Solaris machines, he was thinking of putting up a Linux server,
NFS-mounting the data from the Soalris servers onto the Linux server, and
then Samba sharing those NFS mounts out to his Windows boxes.  Like this:

| Solaris | <--- NFS ---> | Linux | <--- SMB ---> | Windows |

Am I understanding the problem correctly, Sundar?  If so, that's an
interesting concept, and I'm curious to see if anyone has tried this.

~Jeff