dns issues

Larry Lauer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:15:51 -0700

This almost sounds like a reverse lookup zone problem on the 2k DNS
server.  I would make sure that the zones are setup properly and make
sure all the PTR records look good. =20

-Larry=20

-----Original Message-----
From: daz@undertaker.homeip.net [mailto:daz@undertaker.homeip.net]=20
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 8:41 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: dns issues

not necessarily linux, but more of a 'general unix dns' thing:

Im having a problem of sorts with dns at a place where I cannot control=20
the dns servers (believed to be winNT or win2000).

I've done alot of research trying to figure out what the problem is and
I=20
believe I have the answer.  Im pretty much just looking for a "yeah,
thats=20
the problem (from experience)" or "nope , thats completely wrong"=20

scenario:

 an internal dns server doing dns for all internal clients.   an all=20
windows shop except for our 2 sco boxen (SCO_SV hostname 3.2 5.0.6
i386). =20
using an outside dns server, I can query the given domain name, however,
I=20
get their outside IP address, not the inside one (which we need).  I can

do a nslookup on mail.domainname.com no problem, but on domainname.com I

get non-existent host/domain.

  from 2 sco boxen, I do a nslookup for a domain name:

------------------------------
ads@domain:/u/ads>nslookup
Default Server:  dns.domainname.com
Address:  192.168.1.16

> domainname.com
Server:  dns.domainname.com
Address:  192.168.1.16

*** dns.domainname.com can't find domainname.com: Non-existent
host/domain
-------------------------------

however, the admin of the dns servers swears that from all her win boxen

this works fine.  so I do more research.

-----------------------------------

ads@domain:/u/ads>nslookup
Address:  192.168.1.16

> set querytype=3Dany
> domainname.com
Server:  dns.domainname.com
Address:  192.168.1.16

domainname.com     nameserver =3D dns.domainname.com
domainname.com
        origin =3D dns.domainname.com
        mail addr =3D (root)
        serial =3D 97
        refresh =3D 3600 (1H)
        retry   =3D 600 (10M)
        expire  =3D 86400 (1D)
        minimum ttl =3D 3600 (1H)
domainname.com     record type 65281, interpreted as:
?.                      0S IN 65281     \#(     ; unknown RR type
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 02 58 00 00 00 02 ; ...........X....
c0 a8 01 10 c0 a8 01 05 )                       ; ........
dns.domainname.com     internet address =3D 192.168.1.16

(some whitespace from above was removed to make it lookpretty)

the interesting bit, I think, is the 'unknown RR type' and 'record type=20
65281' parts.   more research resulted in:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=3D/technet/itso=
utions/network/support/trblshoot/dnstshot.asp
and
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb%3ben-us%3b164176

basic summary being that the dns servers are using wins (proprietary=20
record in the MS dns stuff) and suggesting that you turn it off.

Would it be a fair statement to say that the wins dns stuff is causing
the=20
problems?

Thanks for any insights,
David

--=20
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader
---
  9:35am  up 25 days, 17:45,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00