Mailing list ettiquete request

Deepak Saxena plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:31:13 -0700

I have a small request for all on this mailing list. I'm not
officially involved with the mailing list management, so this is
just my opinionated request, but hopefully others will concurr.

Please do not reply to a post and then change the subject to start
an unrelated thread. Many of us use a threaded email reader and it's
rather annoying to see a sub-thread which has nothing to do with the
original thread in the middle of reading a thread.  Most well written
mail clients use the In-Reply-To header to do their threading, so
even if you change the subject of a reply, it will still be part
of the original thread.  It's good and desirable to start a sub-thread
that's related with a new subject, but putting a for-sale add as a reply
to a thread on playing the LotR cd on Linux, asking about linux ppoe in the
middle of a thread about MP3 players, or asking about disk replacement in
reply to a posting about Kevin Mitnick are examples of sub-threads on
this mailing list that should have just been posted as new messages.

It's not that hard to press the 'm' key to start a new thread instead
of the 'r' key to reply to an existing one.

Thanks,
~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena - dsaxena@plexity.net

How much do you value your freedom? Would you trade your freedom for some
illusion of security? Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

   - Hunter S. Thompson -