OT: laptop repair

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:31:50 -0500

Ed:
	The amazing things people know in the PLUG group!   Unfortunately, it
doesn't work for me - it does turn the power off, but it doesn't work
normally again the next time.  I also hear the "clunk"; which could be the
hard drive (I was thinking it might've been some sort of relay.)  My Sony has
never been drowned, and the worst drop it's ever experienced was falling on
its side while standing against a table inside its padded case.  In other
words, it's got no good reason to fail.
	I have been lucky enough to get it to boot twice since the problem started.
The first time, my son needed something and I went away for a while and the
stupid thing went into hibernation!  The second time, I was able to back up
the day's work that I'd lost (whew!) and I turned off power management.  But
while trying to save some info from the registry in Windoze 2K, it locked up
and - you guessed it - wouldn't respond to a 3-finger salute.  So I'm back
where I started.  If I can get it to boot again, I'll boot it in Red Hat and
just copy the whole dang registry.

	Thanks anyhow!

Vaughn