OT: laptop repair

Ed Skinner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:57:04 -0700

    My Sony notebook occasionally behaves in a similar manner. The only sound
I hear is an occasional "clunk" which I presume is the hard drive resetting
itself. Power light but no BIOS (I don't think the LCD's backlight has been
turned on either), no beeps, just that "clunk" sound.
    On the underside of this machine is a small paperclip-sized hole. When my
system gets into this mode, I carefully insert a straightened paperclip (a
non-conductive item would be a better choice here) through the hole and
gently push some sort of button inside. If power is on, it then goes off. But
regardless, when I then press the power on button, the system goes back to
normal operation. (I always carry a paperclip in my Palm Pilot case for both
the notebook and Palm Pilot.)
    If your system has a reset switch such as this, you might give this
technique a try.
    (My notebook accidentally drank a glass of water once. After a subsequent
disassembly, alcohol bath, and a good "dry" in the Arizona sun, it started to
return to rationality by complaining about [and allowing me to reset] the
CMOS settings. A year later, the occasional underside-poke is the only
remaining artifact from the unintentional bath. [I also took the occasion to
"wash-out" the Microsoft operating system and put a "clean" version of Linux
in its place.])