web-based email and POP/IMAP access front end for Exchange server

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:55:56 -0500

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:40:58PM -0800, Scott H wrote:
/_I have an Exchange server for company mail for
/_about 1400 users.  My boss wants web-based email
/_and POP/IMAP access from the Internet.  He agrees
/_with me putting Exchange and Outlook Web Access
/_out there is not a good idea, from a security
/_standpoint.  So we're looking for a good OSS
/_solution.  I know I can use products like
/_squirrelmail and Horde's IMP to provide a
/_web-based email front end, but how can I provide
/_POP/IMAP clients access to their Exchange
/_mailboxes, without opening up ports to the
/_Exchange box?  Is there OSS software that will do
/_this?

I had a similar situation and here is how I had it configured:

1. Debian/Apache (SSL) running IMP on the Intranet side
   (complete w/LDAP to addressbook)

2. OpenBSD Firewall that redirected port 443 to server in #1

3. #1 was on same LAN as Exchange, so they played happily together.

Never had a problem.

Of course, when I left, they plopped Exchange out onto the
Internet and fired up OWA. Their problem at that point :-)

v/r
-Mike