Portable MP3 players?

Bill Jonas plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:36:48 -0700

--9q+4pEgVd7t11q9L

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:25:11AM -0700, Jenny Charlene wrote:
> Which model do you have?

I have a Rio 600 which I received as part of a promotion that Speakeasy
was running at the time; this was probably a couple years ago.  It does
not work in Linux, at least as far as I could tell at the time.  There
was support for the Rio 500, but not the 600.  Note that I haven't tried
it lately.  The only use it's gotten has been by my wife, who has used
it with Windows.  As far as I know, it plays all right except for the
fact that it only comes with 32MB of memory.  (Yes, it can probably be
upgraded but it's not a real priority right now, and it's probably
expensive since it's a proprietary memory pack.)

> If you're thinking about upgrading, what model(s) are you thinking about?

I'm considering the NexII or NexIIe.
http://www.frontierlabs.com/NexII.html
http://www.frontierlabs.com/IIe.html

I've heard good things about them.  They take standard CompactFlash
cards and will even work with the 1GB IBM microdrive.  The firmware is
upgradeable.  They start around $100, sans memory.

Of course, I *really* want an iPod, but they're just too expensive for
me right now.  I can't justify $3-500 on an MP3 player.

--=20
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins

--9q+4pEgVd7t11q9L

--9q+4pEgVd7t11q9L--