Portable MP3 players?

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:11:44 -0700 (MST)

Jenny Charlene said:
> Which model do you have?

I have the Diamond Rio 300 (I think the original rio).

> Do you use it with Windows, Linux, or Mac X?

Use it with GNU/Linux.  So simple its sick.  I tried about 2 or 3 years
ago to get it to work with windows for the wife, but the UI was so horrid
it was nearly impossible.

> Likes / dislikes?

I like everything about it except it doesnt hold enough music.  Though it
has ability to take memory cards which are cheap now.  The battery life is
decent.

What I like is it is SMALL.  Also, I like that its easy to use and well
supported on GNU/Linux (specifically Debian packages are available).  The
other thing now is you can pick them up for under $40 so they are
affordable as well.

> If you're thinking about upgrading, what model(s) are you thinking
> about?

I considered upgrading but now that I have a DVD player that plays mp3's
and I burn all my cd's as backups for the car I find I just dont use it
much anymore.  I was using it to work out (and that aint happening now as
anyone who has seen me recently can attest to. ;))  I looked and the new
ones that hold oodles of music are pricey and very large.  I was able to
buy a Rio Volt for my daughter (portable cd player that plays mp3 cd's)
for 39.99 after rebates and I think it was a much better investment for
her.

-derek