Waging War on Business

Cliff Rogers plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:58:25 -0800

I hope I don't offend anyone with this.
I don't feel that it is "that" important what name you apply to the action
of copying a program, book, picture, (or whatever else someone produces for
the purpose of bringing in an income.) I think what is important is that the
author or creator of that item has determined that he/she doesn't want
anyone to make a copy to share with others or doesn't want the program
installed on more than one computer at the same time. THAT is a choice the
author has the right to make.
If that person has an End User License Agreement that states this
restriction included with the item purchased by you or I or anyone else who
acquires a copy through a legitimate source, like a store or a website or
whatever, then we are bound by that EULA. I only see two choices that can be
made at this point. I either agree to the restriction or I return the item
for a refund because I am unwilling to agree. So far it is mostly a decision
that is enforced by how honorable the end user is.
I know that if I write a program I want it to be a profitable venture. A
EULA can help me achieve this goal but I also better have a good product so
that people will be willing to live with the restrictions. If it isn't a
good product then I won't be able to sell many copies with or without the
restrictions. If I choose not to use a EULA than that is my choice but I
don't see any way that I will be as profitable.
I guess what I am trying to say is that if we purchase software that
includes a EULA that restricts copying or multiple installations than we are
bound by our personal honor not to violate those restrictions. If we do
violate them we are not very honorable. If we cannot live with them then we
need to either find software that does not have a EULA or we need to write
the program for ourselves.
One last thing, please don't think I am a high and mighty do-gooder. I admit
that I have used software on multiple computers because I couldn't afford
multiple copies. If I had my way software could be installed on any and all
machines owned by or used in the home of a person who buys it. This would
have to have some restrictions on home business users or friends who bring
laptops over to a user's home and the like.
Just my 2 cents worth. Have a great day,    Cliff