Waging War on Business

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
12 Feb 2003 11:29:54 -0700

Actually no, you never have agreed to a license, you purchased a box of
software. Interesting is it not? Now the shrink wrapped software vendors
would like you to believe that you are executing a contract but you are
not and that has been held up in a court of law.

When I purchase a cell phone at a reduced price, I sign a contract that
requires me to do something in return for the phone. That
contract/license is binding because I knew in advance and executed the
contract/license.

Why is this an important point? If you had to sign a contract before
purchasing a box of software how many people would actually stand for
the terms in the contract, almost none of them. So software manufactures
attempt to force you to agree to terms without actually seeing them
which is not binding in the US. Currently this is in the court systems
are I write this. Microsoft and others are terrified that this will get
become case law, when it does (it is already on the books, just software
vendors have ignored the law for decades and are attempting to use the
length of time to say it "see it must be this way, we have always done
it this way so it is") the concept of a license goes out the door and
the first sale doctrine applies which is good for you and very bad for
them. Copyright still applies but in a much less restrictive way since
you are the "owner" of the software" not a licensee of the vendor and
the vendor "sold" you a single copy of the software and did not license
it.

Interesting, very interesting........

Cheers,

Davidm

--
David IS Mandala
gpg fingerprint 8932 E7EF CCF5 1B8C 1B5C A92E C678 795E 45B2 D952