Newbie Problems

Joel W. Leibow plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 21:44:26 -0700

I am in the process of setting up my first linux machine here at home.
I have a box that I just installed Red Hat 7.3 on.  During the boot up
process of the machine the only message I get that fails is this,
"bringing up interface eth0".  I am using KDE and when I view the
Hardware Browser in the control panel I can see that under Network
Devices there is a SIS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter using the /dev/eth
device.  I checked the /etc/modules.conf file and SIS900 was aliased as
/dev/eth0.  I changed this to /dev/eth and ran ifup eth.  Obtaining of
the IP information failed.  When I go into the Contol Center under
Networking under LAN Browsing and click Guided LISa Setup I'm told that
there is no network card installed.  How can I get my network card
installed properly and working fine.  Any help would be appreciated.
I'm certain that I've left off some information that may be helpful.
Let me know what else may be needed in order for me to resolve this
problem.

Thanks
Joel Leibow