Microsoft's first listed "Top Knowledgebase Article" on technet

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08 Feb 2003 23:04:31 -0700

--=-dkOaK0URi+zS4rvODIdv

> I refuse to buy the prebuilt systems from Dell because I have no=20
> choice, but to=20
> pay that fee for M$ office.  I don't mind paying for things I want or wil=
l use,=20
> but to have something forced on me and charged for it is outrageous.

Hmmm...

I dont think this is true.  You can buy Dell hardware factory installed
with GNU/Linux.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/topics/linux_000_products.htm

Also, for nearly all high end server's they offer you can get with
GNU/Linux or without any operating system at all.

I am not a huge Dell fan, but I think we need to hold to facts when
fighting the enemy.  If you say, you can't buy a Dell pre-built system
running Windows without office that very well maybe true.  However, I
would argue that if you are paying the Microsoft tax, what is a few more
dollars to really sink your butt into their lockin?

You can buy a Dell GNU/Linux system without office though, so Dell isnt
forcing you into any proposition with the beast best I can tell.

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 21:30, Kevin Brown wrote:

> > I think that it's funny that linux represents a threat to Microsoft.
> > It's kind of like the ultimate answer to the predator that they
> > are...they gave their Office application away for years and now that
> > they have everyone hooked...they cranked up the price.
> >=20
> > Interestingly, a friend of mine bought a few Dell computers and said
> > that he got Office Small Business Edition for only like $ 50-60 per. I
> > suspect that OpenOffice likewise represents a threat to them
>=20
--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise